• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Questioner

Questioner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

My judgment has ordered me to pay 9% on any amount over a certain base salary threshold. Since the order, my base salary has decreased (not enough to make it worth filing for a modification though). I recently received a one-time bonus that would put me over the base salary amount in the order.

My question is, am I required to pay the 9% on the full bonus amount? Or do I pay 9% only on the amount that exceeds the base salary threshold?  The terms "bonus" and "base salary" are clearly delineated on the paystub, though I do not know if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

#2 Jim Reape

Jim Reape

Senior Managing Partner The Reape - Rickett Law Firm

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

You really need to look at the terms of the order itself.  If the % support is based on all income in excess of "X" than you pay only on the excess of "X".

If the order requires you to pay a fixed support and then goes on to order 9% of any bonus then you pay the 9% of the bonus, even though your base has reduced.

#3 Questioner

Questioner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Right. The confusing part is that the order states "9% on any amount over $XX base salary per month."  

The term "bonus" is not used until the end of the section when it orders that I "provide a copy of the pay stub showing the amount of the bonus."

#4 Jim Reape

Jim Reape

Senior Managing Partner The Reape - Rickett Law Firm

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Based on the ambiguity you could provide your year end stub as well as the pay stub for the bonus.  Set forth a calculation whereby you rely on and calculate "9% on any amount over $XX base salary per month."  Cite the language exactly.  Enclose a check for the calculated amount and see if it is disputed.

#5 Questioner

Questioner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Great, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users